I’ve got a favorite quote: “I’ve got a lot of tools. None of them cut corners.“
Starting an online business or an internet marketing campaign or a podcast requires a lot of moving parts. There are literally thousands of applications and resources to choose from. It’s not that there’s a lack of information…there’s simply too much! Below is a list of tools I use on a regular basis. As I learn more and use more tools, I’ll add to this pool. But, I’m a firm believer in spending a few dollars to make a lot of dollars. If I can pay a few bucks and it saves me a huge amount of time or energy, I don’t mind making that tradeoff. Some of the resources below are paid services or products. I have paid for them and use them on a regular basis. If you purchase them because you’ve clicked on a link, I might make a few dollars from it. (At no cost to you, don’t worry) If you do that, thank you. If you have any questions about any of this stuff, drop me a line via the contact form, or on my twitter account.
If you want to podcast, and want to start with the right gear:
Here’s a hand curated kit to help you with your podcast, whether you’re setting up in a studio, or you’re going portable. They are specifically because I want your show to sound professional, because I love podcasting! Modeled after my exact basic set up, which has garnered me millions of downloads and hundreds of podcasts, this package will get you up and podcasting, just like the pros!
Portable Podcasting Kit
Portable Podcasting Kit
This is the kit I use for portable podcasting, all over the world! Simple, and sounds like you’re in a studio!
kit by @solohour
If you want to blog: (Web hosting, themes, blog software)
- WordPress: Every one of my sites is on WordPress at this point. What used to be just a great platform to write an online journal has grown up into a full-fledged content management system. Price: FREE!
- Woo Themes: I’ve been using WooThemes for myself and for my clients for over two years. They are incredibly well-designed, are updated all the time, and have a wonderful “back-end” administration section. Price: FREE & Premium $ Options.
- OptimizePress: OptimizePress is amazing for internet marketers. The theme, which gives you ultimate control of building landing pages, sales pages, squeeze pages, etc. (See this blog post if you want a description of what those things are.) Price: $97
Where you can HOST a blog:
Note: These resources are great for domain names too!
- HostGator: Hostgator is a great option if you must pay monthly. They are the largest web hosting provider in the world. Make sure you get at least the “baby” or “business” plan, as the “hatchling” plan won’t serve our purposes. (Business preferred. It’s got everything we need for 12 bucks a month.) 1 Click WordPress Installs, 24/7/365 support, and their new Cloud Hosting makes them the best choice for your small business. Hostgator is the primary sponsor of The Solopreneur Hour Podcast. Get 30% off your entire web hosting order by using the promo code “SOLO30” at checkout.
- Bluehost: We all have options. Bluehost has some fantastic services. They have a pitifully easy WordPress install, and have everything you need to start your internet business, ready to rock. Plus, they are dirt cheap at $3.95/month. Price: $3.95/mo
- Google Adwords Tool: The basic tool for researching keywords for your adwords campaigns. Price: FREE!
Newsletter and Email Services
- Aweber: This is the service I use for The Solopreneur Hour. It’s got a million different templates that will fit anything you are doing, easy integration with WordPress, and is basically the industry standard for email campaigns, newsletters, and auto responders. Price: $19/mo
- Google Analytics: Shows you everything you need to know about who visits your website, what they were viewing, where they came from, how long they stayed there, etc. Industry standard. Price: FREE!
- Clicky: Shows you what Google Analytics does, but does it in real time. Like…you can view it by the hour, minute, etc. There’s a free trial period, but then is a premium product. Price: FREE or Upgraded Pro Version (That’s what I did. $10/mo)
- Google Optimizer: Imagine this: You have two identical pages. One with a green button. One with a red button. This will tell you which one people liked more. It’s invaluable! Price: FREE!
- Elance: Need a business plan? Some copywriting? Web design? Amazing resource to hire great freelancers. I’ve gotten some high-end PHP programming and some design work done here.
- Fiverr: Fiverr is a great spot for super fast, super cheap work. If you need something quick done, whether it be a bit of programming, design, voiceover, etc…fiverr is the place to get it done.
Amazing Online Resources
- The Four Hour Workweek Blog by Tim Ferriss – Tim remains “king of lifestyle design”, and there’s so much to learn about methods, organization, etc. Price: FREE!
- The Smart Passive Income Blog with Pat Flynn – What can I say? I literally wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for this amazing resource. I’ve learned so much from Pat, and will forever be grateful for the awesome content he’s put out. Thanks Pat. Price: FREE!
- Viper Chill – So many great articles. Get your notebook out. Price: FREE!
- Podcast Answerman – If you’re thinking of doing a podcast, start here. Price: FREE!
- Warrior Forum – Where the top dogs meet. Get an account, ask some questions, and be a sponge. I got the premium account, called “The War Room” for $37. Price: FREE! (or $37 for the War Room)
“The Sexy Seven”. 7 books that will launch your Solopreneur journey.
The Sexy Seven
7 books to read, in this order, that will radically change your life and your perspective on the world. With a couple of bonus books…
kit by @solohour
- FREE AudioBooks from Audible. Get your first book for FREE By Clicking Here.