Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Click to Get Each Episode Hand Delivered! Google Podcasts | Stitcher | RSS | How To Subscribe!
Being laid off and reading The Four Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss is a common story among modern day Solopreneurs. Today’s co-host is no different. The book opened up a whole new world, a world where ideas can make money. This book is where Brad Costanzo first discovered he was Proudly Unemployable.
After a successful period of Real Estate investing and being laid off from his sales job, he decided on his first online business, selling a course, which Brad pre-sold without building the product, on how to pick up women with magic tricks. He used this company as a marketing laboratory, experimenting with different marketing techniques.
Brad later started Costanzo Marketing agency helping businesses with their marketing that generated $1 million to $20 million in revenue. Now he is the host of his own podcast “Bacon Wrapped Business” every Tuesday and more recently created a new business with his wife Kenya selling roasted coffee online at StilletoCoffee.com.
Mike and Brad discuss:
- Turning $20k debt into $120k profit through Real Estate (11:19)
- Validating your idea (14:36)
- Referrals (23:34)
- Implementing Profit First (33:26)
- New Ventures
- Branding & The 5 Levels of Marketing Sophistication (40:17)
- When to pull the rip cord (51:54)
- Influence’s Marketing, Content Marketing & Collaborations (56:12)
The 5 Levels of Marketing Sophistication
These are the five levels of Marketing Sophistication taken from Eugene Schwartz’s 1966 book Breakthrough Advertising.
- Most Aware: Your prospect knows your product, and only needs to know “the deal.”
- Product-Aware: Your prospect knows what you sell, but isn’t sure it’s right for him.
- Solution-Aware: Your prospect knows the result he wants, but not that your product provides it. The market becomes saturated.
- Problem-Aware: Your prospect senses he has a problem but doesn’t know there’s a solution
- Completely Unaware: No knowledge of anything except, perhaps, his identity or opinion. This is Prospect & Emotional Centric Marketing when you are selling more than the product. You are selling to the demographic, appealing to them on who they are not what you are selling.
Listen here to hear Brad describe the five levels of Marketing Sophistication:
“Got to be a laser, not a flood light.”
Links & Resources
- His Podcast on iTunes is Bacon Wrapped Business, every Tuesday.
- Stiletto Coffee
- Four Hour Work Week
- Sexy Seven
- Will it Fly by Pat Flynn
- Breakthrough Advertising by Eugene Schwartz
- Girl Boss, book and soon to be Netflix series
- Neil Strauss – The Game
- Profit First by Mike Michalowicz
- Film Multiplicity
- The One Thing
- Neil Strauss
- Pat Flynn
- John Lee Dumas
- Mike Michalowicz
- Eugene Schwartz
- Michael Keaton
- Sofia Vergara
- Jennifer Aniston
- Kelly Fidel
- Sophia Amoruso – Founded Nasty Gal
I wanted to give Brad a couple of contacts that will get him closer to his goals with Stiletto coffee.
First, I have an Austrian friend who lives in LA. She is a journalist who interviews A list actors and producers for German and Austrian magazines. 17 last I heard.
Her name is Evie Sullivan and her contact information is (310) 291-9001, firstname.lastname@example.org. She now has a Youtube interview show as well. She is a coffee snob. Use my name with her.
The other contact is Amy Zerner. She is a very interesting artist, designer and she has a boutique market at Bergdoff Goodmans. I follow her on Facebook, so no personal contact info. However, she and her husband are lovely, a little strange people. He is an author and astrologer. Best email I have is email@example.com. She knows the buyers at BG very well.
Please pass these on. Thanks.
Thanks Gloria, appreciate I that and it was a blast to be on the show Michael.